Friday, April 24, 2009

My First Step

I took my first step to educate a friend about the "R" word yesterday.

I had to do it. There have been too many times I have let it go (not with this one particular person but with friends or family) and I decided that I HAVE to take a step towards educating my circle of friends when the opportunity is there. In the interest of privacy, I will omit the details of this specific interaction, but I will say that I did speak up and feel that I did it in a way that was non confrontational and hopefully effective.

Now it helped that this all happened on Facebook so I was able to do it with typed words. When I have to say something live and in person it will most definitely be more challenging. But, I took my first step and it feels good.

8 comments:

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

Good for you... i hear you on the "confrontational" feeling! I feel the same way, I need to speak up, especially in my circle of friends, and actually have spoken up once with a family member, and like you feel like I did it in a non-confrontational way, but it is still a little uncomfortable to point out, although a little discomfort is worth it if we can make a difference in educating people not to use the "r" word! Have a great weekend :)

Cathy said...

Good for you Jennifer! Just remember when you do it for Joaquin, you do it for Lily too and all our kiddos!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Monica Crumley said...

Way to go, Jennifer. I know it's not easy to do, but it's the right thing for your little guy and others like him. I've done it w/ extended family members and I haven't heard the word. My next task is talking to the student body -- I have the OK from our principal, but no details or dates yet. The R word is flying rampant at our school. Ugh!

The Hapa Girl said...

Like Cathy said...Lillian too!

Loren Stow said...

Well done!
I think if you take it from a place that sees that the other person is just not aware and you are offering awareness, then it doesn't have to be confrontational at all.
The way you approached it is the only way to get a positive message out there - and it will get out there - one person at a time.
Well done!

Lisa said...

Good for you!! It's hard to speak up, especially when we know what we have to say might not be very popular, but there is a feeling of strength in the deed, too.

sheree said...

Bravo! Doesn't it feel so good to know that *hopefully* that person will think twice before using that word. Ahhh.

:)

Jasmine said...

You not only took a stand for yourself and your baby - you took a stand for all of us. Thanks.