Monday, April 6, 2009

Disneyland


Joaquin made his first trip to Disneyland this past Friday in honor of his Big Brother Diego's 6th birthday. We were at the park when it opened at 8 am and we left the park close to 11 pm. That's almost 15 hours of Disney. Whew!!

Joaquin was an absolute angel throughout the trip. The highlight for the whole family was "It's a Small World". We were able to time it perfectly after a little nap and he was completely intrigued by the whole ride. He looked up and around and side to side the entire ride. It must have been the music, the lights, the repetition and the adorable doll faces smiling at him. It was a priceless moment for the entire family.

I have absolutely no pictures to post from our day because we forgot the battery pack for our camera. We did buy a disposable camera but who knows when we'll get those developed!

I found it interesting that I didn't see a single child with Down syndrome at Disneyland that day. I saw two adults, one who was in a wheelchair, but no children or babies. I was really looking too.

It was great to take the whole family on a vacation, even if it was only for one day. It was good for us to get away from the usual grind, take a day off of school and therapies and just enjoy our time together. It really is the Happiest Place on Earth.

7 comments:

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

how fun!!! so glad you were able to celebrate Diego's birthday at Disney and also that the whole family was able to escape the daily grind of school, therapy, dr appts, etc... i so wish i were on spring break on a beach somewhere right now! maybe next year :) how lucky that you can go to Disney for the day - that is awesome!

Cheri said...

Hey Jennifer... so glad you guys were able to make the trip! It is indeed the happiest place on earth...my husband and I always say that once you walk through the gates you feel like you can forget about everything for a few hours. The funny thing is...had Luke not had a baseball game Friday night you would have at least seen 1 baby with Down syndrome at Disneyland...little Reid. We are often there on Friday's after work...for a couple rides and some dinner at least. That would have been so fun to bump into you! :)

Miss Magic said...

Sounds like a great day! We are huge Disney fans at our house. We think Disney World is the best Sensory trainer for Maren in the world -- her sensory issues just kind of melted on our first trip and got better with each visit. At 5, she became a roller coaster junkie :-).

As for not seeing kids, I've come to realize that often little kids with DS are a) hard to see in crowded places because like all kids they are small, and b) they look more like other kids than different :-). Sometimes the features of t21 just aren't as noticeable in small kids...kwim?

I'm thrilled you had fun~! Nice to "meet" you! Carol (Maren's Mom)

Tausha said...

Sounds like so much fun. I can't wait to be able to take Sam to Disneyland. I would love some warm weather about now.

Monica Crumley said...

So jealous! Glad all went well and the boys had a blast. Yes, the rain headed our way is a pain!

Kim said...

How nice that sounds! We ended our evening on It's a Small World too. It really doesn't get much better does it? I would love to go back. So glad you had a nice day!

Meg Wolff said...

Jennifer,
That's interesting that you didn't see anyone else with Down's.

Funny ... I usually notice if other people have prosthetic legs. Or if I see someone limping look because I can tell if it is a prosthesis. I like it when I see other people like me.

I agree that Disney Land is a happy place!